domingo, 2 de agosto de 2009

What Is in Your Hand?

“And the Lord said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.” – Exodus 4:2

The responsibility of owning a car settled in during the first few months as I looked at recommended maintenance, gas costs, insurance, and more. Despite those expenses, I was excited to think of the opportunities my new possession would bring. I decided that each time I washed my car, I would pray over it. Though I did not love washing my car, it took on a special significance. A car wash became a time to re-dedicate my car to God’s purposes, to remind myself that it was a gift from Him, and to pray in faith for what He might use my car to do.

Soon, I began to look forward to road trips more than ever, and I loved watching how God would bless my friends and me during our travels. My favorite story, though, happened when I was not even there. While I was out of town, I let a friend drive my car to Mexico for a missions trip. Truthfully, I worried a bit about it, but prayed all the more that God would be with the people going (and my car!). When I returned, I checked with my friend. She said that not only had the trip gone well, but another friend of ours had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit in the car on the drive home!

Today’s focus verse speaks to the fact that God calls us to use all our resources for His glory. Moses was going about his normal business when God called on him to use what was in his hand—literally! When Moses was keeping his father-in-law’s sheep in the desert, he was unaware that the seemingly insignificant rod he was using to guide the sheep would become a mighty instrument of God. Through God, that rod would be transformed into a snake to convince the Israelites that He was the One who sent Moses to lead them out of Egypt. Later, it would be used to part the Red Sea, bring water out of a rock, and perform many other miracles.

As with Moses, God also expects you and I to use what He has made available to us for His glory. God will not ask us to use something we do not have. The question is, How faithfully are we using what He has put in our hands? Are our possessions available to God for His use?

What is in your hand? What is it that God has entrusted in your care? Use it well and faithfully, because that thing, no matter how insignificant you think it is, may become a mighty instrument for God’s glory.

Nenhum comentário: